Thursday, August 9, 2012

Teacher Intimidation...

Many teachers feel alienated from the school reform movement and prefer to remain uninvolved in these issues such as school governance, yet it is argued that true reform will not occur without the investment of teachers, the people charged with actually implementing change.  Why might some teachers choose not to be involved?  What reasons might you offer to encourage greater participation?  What would it take for you to see yourself as a change agent for school reform?

I think that many teachers are intimidated when it comes to school reform.  For many years, we have sat behind our desks and taught to the test just as our administrators indirectly asked us to.  When the budget was cut so drastically in the last legislative session, many teachers watched as their peers were forced to leave the profession.  The realization set in rather quickly that we should all be thankful to even have jobs in education.  This was an interesting feeling, especially since a few years prior the state was practically begging for teachers and calling a shortage. 

For true reform to take place, teachers will have to rise up and stand up to big government.  If we do not, then the changes taking place most likely will not represent our way of thinking concerning the education of today's youth.  I feel as an instructional leader the first place I would encourage my staff to get involved is locally.  By volunteering to be a part of the campus and/or district improvement committee(s), teachers might have a better understanding of the changes that are actually taking place.  If they do not agree with some of the ideas being tossed around it is a perfect place for them to speak up and be heard.  I encourage all to become involved at this level, but often teachers already have a lot on their plate and do not feel compelled to heap on any more.

For me to see myself as a change agent for school reform is something that will take time.  I have my ideas, just like anyone else, but really want to be an educated and prepared individual to address any major issues.  This program is my first step in becoming the person who will have a say in our student's education.  My own children are just entering the public school system and I want to ensure they receive the best as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment